Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back In Tme...Saturday's Training

This was an interesting day. With the September TSC just around the corner (these things always sneak up on you), I'm considering competing in and possibly hosting an event.

So I better get pulling.

I remember in April at the RKC, Pavel said something that stuck with me. It wasn't the first time I have heard it, it just sunk in this time.

The phrase was, "(Comrades), If you want to get strong, use a moderate weight and lift it a lot."

The first time I heard this was form a former boss. My first 'real' job out of college was selling high end fitness equipment in a retail store. My boss was Doug Kortemeyer. Doug was a national champion OLY lifter, and one big dude, at 6' 5" and close to 300lbs, you had no choice but to listen.

We would talk training a lot and it always amazed me how his training loads were so 'light' compared to his competition loads. But his totals kept going up.

I realize now it all has to do with force, power, accelleration and a whole bunch of parabolic graphs that I'm not going to bore you with.

So here's what I did:

In keeping up with my ladders for pressing and pull ups, I just threw the deadlift in. Will it work? Don't know.

It was the high volume day so I did 5 ladders of 1,2,3

I loaded up the bar with my Elieko red and blue bumpers (which I got for free from Doug back in the day).

I pulled, pressed and did a pull up all in the ladder and took a whopping 4 minutes rest between ladders.

It felt really good, the 245 I was pulling was only about 60% of my former 1RM, but it was sufficient enough to let me know what I had gotten my self into. I plan to raise the weight slowly as the volume increases.

It's all in good fun.

One last note worth mentioning.

Kori and I participate in a fundraising event every year for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It's a 2 day 150 mile bike tour that runs up the coast of Lake Michigan from Mequon to Sturgeon Bay. It a lot of fun for a great cause.

Our goal is to raise $250 each for this cause.

If you'd like to learn more and find out how to donate Please check out Kori's Train Like a Girl Blog.

No comments: